Market town of Flintshire, North Wales, taking its name from the miraculous well of Saint Winefride. According to legend, a stream burst from the ground on the spot where Saint Winefride was slain by Caradoc, c.634,and has flowed ever since. The 14th-century Gothic chapel which encloses it is now used for Welsh services of the Anglican church and the well itself which sends up 21 tons of water a minute has been leased by the Jesuits of the mission. For more than a thousand, years, the town has been a place of pilgrimage and there have been numerous cures. The parish church is built over the remains of Basingwerk Abbey, used as a monastery before 1119. The Catholic buildings are the church of Saint Winifred, a convent, and a hospice for poorer pilgrims.