What does Accho mean in the Bible?

Dictionary

American Tract Society Bible Dictionary - Accho
A city of the tribe of Asher, Judges 1:31 . In the New Testament, Accho is called Ptolemais, Acts 21:7 ; from one of the Ptolemais, who enlarged and beautified it. The crusaders gave it the name of Acre, of St. John of Acre. It is still called Akka by the Turks. It sustained several sieges during the crusades, and was the last fortified place wrested from the Christians by the Turks.
The town is situated on the coast of the Mediterranean sea, thirty miles south of Tyre, on the north angle of a bay to which it gives its name, and which extends in a semicircle of three leagues, as far as the point of Mount Carmel, south-west of Acre. After its memorable siege by Bonaparte, when he was repulsed by Sir Sidney Smith, in 1799, Accho was much improved and strengthened, and its population was estimated at from 18,000 to 20,000. It has since then suffered greatly, having been besieged six months by Ibrahim Pacha, in 1832, and bombarded by an English fleet in 1840. Present population, (1859), 10,000 or 12,000.
Accho and all the seacoast beyond it northwards, was considered as the heathen land of the Jews.
Easton's Bible Dictionary - Accho
Sultry or sandy, a town and harbour of Phoenicia, in the tribe of Asher, but never acquired by them (Judges 1:31 ). It was known to the ancient Greeks and Romans by the name of Ptolemais, from Ptolemy the king of Egypt, who rebuilt it about B.C. 100. Here Paul landed on his last journey to Jerusalem (Acts 21:7 ). During the crusades of the Middle Ages it was called Acra; and subsequently, on account of its being occupied by the Knights Hospitallers of Jerusalem, it was called St. Jean d'Acre, or simply Acre.
Fausset's Bible Dictionary - Accho
Ptolemais in the New Testament, Jean d'Acre (named from the knights of John of Jerusalem); called "the key of Palestine." Its sands were employed by the Sidonians in making glass. The name is akin to the Arab Akeh, a sandy shore heated by the sun. The chief seaport in Syria, 30 miles S. of Tyre; on the N. of the only inlet on the Palestine coast, with Carmel on the S. side. The distance across is eight miles. The river Belus flows into the sea close under the town walls. Accho was Asher's portion, but never was wrested from the original dwellers (Judges 1:31). Paul landed here from Tyre, and stayed one day with Christian brethren, before sailing on to Caesarea (Acts 21:7).
Hitchcock's Bible Names - Accho
Close; pressed together
Watson's Biblical & Theological Dictionary - Accho
afterward called Ptolemais, and now Akka by the Arabs, and Acre by the Turks. It was given to the tribe of Asher, Judges 1:31 . Christianity was planted here at an early period, and here St. Paul visited the saints in his way to Jerusalem, Acts 21:7 . It is a seaport of Palestine, thirty miles south of Tyre, and, in the first partition of the holy land, belonged to the tribe of Asher; but this was one of the places out of which the Israelites could not drive the primitive inhabitants. In succeeding times it was enlarged by the first Ptolemy, to whose lot it fell, and who named it after himself, Ptolemais.
This city, now called Acre, which, from the convenience of its port, is one of the most considerable on the Syrian coast, was, during almost two centuries, the principal theatre of the holy wars, and the frequent scene of the perfidies and treacheries of the crusaders.
Among its antiquities, Dr. E. D. Clarke describes the remains of a very considerable edifice, exhibiting a conspicuous appearance among the buildings on the north side of the city. "In this structure the style of the architecture is of the kind we call Gothic. Perhaps it has on that account borne among our countrymen the appellation of ‘King Richard's Palace,' although, in the period to which the tradition refers, the English were hardly capable of erecting palaces, or any other buildings of equal magnificence. Two lofty arches, and part of the cornice, are all that now remain to attest the former greatness of the superstructure. The cornice, ornamented with enormous stone busts, exhibiting a series of hideous distorted countenances, whose features are in no instances alike, may either have served as allusions to the decapitation of St. John, or were intended for a representation of the heads of Saracens suspended as trophies upon the walls." Maundrell and Pococke consider this building to have been the church of St. Andrew; but Dr. E. D. Clarke thinks it was that of St. John, erected by the Knights of Jerusalem, whence the city changed its name of Ptolemais for that of St. John d'Acre. He also considers the style of architecture to be in some degree the original of our ornamented Gothic, before its translation from the holy land to Italy, France, and England.
Mr. Buckingham, who visited Acre in 1816, says, "Of the Canaanitish Accho it would be thought idle perhaps to seek for remains; yet some presented themselves to my observation so peculiar in form and materials, and of such high antiquity, as to leave no doubt in my own mind of their being the fragments of buildings constructed in the earliest ages.
"Of the splendour of Ptolemais, no perfect monument remains; but throughout the town are seen shafts of red and grey granite, and marble pillars. The Saracenic remains are only to be partially traced in the inner walls of the town; which have themselves been so broken down and repaired, as to leave little visible of the original work; and all the mosques, fountains, bazaars, and other public buildings, are in a style rather Turkish than Arabic, excepting only an old, but regular and well-built khan or caravanserai, which might perhaps be attributed to the Saracen age. The Christian ruins are
altogether gone, scarcely leaving a trace of the spot on which they stood."
Acre has been rendered famous in our own times by the successful resistance made by our countryman Sir Sydney Smith, aided by the celebrated Djezzar Pasha, to the progress of the French under Buonaparte. Since this period, the fortifications have been considerably increased; and although to the eye of an engineer they may still be very defective, Acre may be considered as the strongest place in Palestine.
Mr. Conner says, on the authority of the English consul, that there are about ten thousand inhabitants in Acre, of whom three thousand are Turks, and the remainder Christians, chiefly Catholics.
People's Dictionary of the Bible - Accho
Accho (ăk'ko), heated sand, now Acca or Acre, Judges 1:31, or Ptolemais (so called after the first Ptolemy, king of Egypt, into whose hands it fell about 100 years before Christ), was a seaport town on the bay of Acre, over against Carmel, about 30 miles south of Tyre. It was in the territory assigned to the tribe of Asher, and one of the cities from which they were unable to expel the Canaanites; and it is even now considered the strongest place in Palestine. It is mentioned in Acts 21:7. It now has about 6000 inhabitants. The place has been noted in modern times for the successful resistance it made, under Sir Sydney Smith, to the French army in 1799. It has an old cathedral, and a bishop of the Greek Church. The Romish monks have an inn, whih serves them instead of a convent.

Sentence search

Ptolemais - See Accho
Ptolemais - See Accho
Ptolemais - See Accho
Achshaph - It was not far from Accho
Ptolemais - It was originally called "Accho" (q
Ptolemais - Originally Accho; the old name is resumed, Jean, d'Acre
ca'Bul -
One of the landmarks on the boundary of Asher, (Joshua 19:27 ) now Kabul , 9 or 10 miles east of Accho
Accho - In the New Testament, Accho is called Ptolemais, Acts 21:7 ; from one of the Ptolemais, who enlarged and beautified it. After its memorable siege by Bonaparte, when he was repulsed by Sir Sidney Smith, in 1799, Accho was much improved and strengthened, and its population was estimated at from 18,000 to 20,000. ...
Accho and all the seacoast beyond it northwards, was considered as the heathen land of the Jews
Achzib - It is identified with the modern es-Zib, on the Mediterranean, about 8 miles north of Accho
Acco - (ahc' coh) KJV reads Accho
Shihor Libnath - 5:19), now nahr Naman, which flows into the Mediterranean below Acre or Accho, for this is too far N
Achzib - It is situated about ten miles north of Accho, or Ptolemais
ab'Don - ) ...
A city in the tribe if Asher, given to the Gershonites, (Joshua 21:30 ; 1 Chronicles 6:74 ) the modern Abdeh, 10 miles northeast of Accho
Asher - The province allotted to this tribe was a maritime one, stretching along the coast from Sidon on the north to Mount Carmel on the south; including the cities Abdon, Achshaph, Accho, Achzib, Sarepta, Sidon, and Tyre
Accho - Accho was Asher's portion, but never was wrested from the original dwellers (Judges 1:31)
Cabul -
A town on the eastern border of Asher (Joshua 19:27 ), probably one of the towns given by Solomon to Hiram; the modern Kabul, some 8 miles east of Accho, on the very borders of Galilee
Abdon - The ruins of Abdeh, some 8 miles (14 kilometers) north-east of Accho, probably mark its site
Accho - Accho (ăk'ko), heated sand, now Acca or Acre, Judges 1:31, or Ptolemais (so called after the first Ptolemy, king of Egypt, into whose hands it fell about 100 years before Christ), was a seaport town on the bay of Acre, over against Carmel, about 30 miles south of Tyre
Jezreel (1) - ...
The western portion is the plain of Accho. The top of the triangle is the pass, half a mile wide, opening into Accho plain. by Accho into the Mediterranean
Esdra-e'Lon - The western section of it is properly the plain of Accho or 'Akka
Esdraelon - Some scholars say that the Valley of Jezreel is the name for the entire region; Esdraelon being the western portion, comprised of the Plain of Accho and the Valley of Megiddo
Asher - The portion near Zidon, Dor, Accho, Ahlab, Achzib, Helbah, Aphik, Rehob, they never made themselves masters of (Judges 1:31-32; Joshua 19:24-31; Joshua 17:10-11
Asher, Aser - It was doubtless intended that their west border should have been the Great Sea, but we read that they did not drive out the inhabitants of Accho, Zidon, Ahlab, Achzib, Helbah, Aphik and Rehob; but the Asherites dwelt among the Canaanites
Accho - Buckingham, who visited Acre in 1816, says, "Of the Canaanitish Accho it would be thought idle perhaps to seek for remains; yet some presented themselves to my observation so peculiar in form and materials, and of such high antiquity, as to leave no doubt in my own mind of their being the fragments of buildings constructed in the earliest ages
Israel, Kingdom of - The seacoast between Accho and Japho remained in the possession of Israel
Canaan - So we find them in the upper Jordan valley at Bethshean, Esdraelon (Jezreel), Taanach, Ibleam, Megiddo, the Sharon plain, Dor, the Phoenician Accho and Sidon (Joshua 17:16; Judges 1:19; Judges 4:3. of Accho Israel never gained, but S. of Accho David gained by the conquest of the Philistines (Judges 1:31)
Rivers And Waterways in the Bible - Kishon River The Kishon River forms the drainage system of the Jezreel Plain and the southern portion of the Accho Plain. From the Jezreel, it passes along the base of Mount Carmel through the narrow pass formed by a spur of the Galilean hills and into the Accho Plain, where some additional tributaries join before it empties into the Mediterranean. While limited port facilities existed at coastal towns such as Joppa, Dor, and Accho, they were hardly adequate to facilitate more than a local fishing fleet and an occasional refuge during a storm for the larger merchant ships that frequented the great harbors established farther to the north along the Phoenician coast
Phoenice - Accho (Acre), a capital harbor, assigned to Asher, was not occupied by that tribe (Judges 1:31); but remained in the Canaanites' possession
Josiah - ...
Necho came by sea to Palestine, landing at Accho