Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
SHILHIM . A town of Judah ( Joshua 15:32 ). Cf. Shaaraim, 2 .
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Aqueducts, a town in the south of Judah (Joshua 15:32 ); called also Sharuhen and Shaaraim (19:6).
Holman Bible Dictionary
(sshihl' hihm) Alternative Hebrew spelling of Sharuhen. See Sharuhen .
Morrish Bible Dictionary
City in the south of Judah. Joshua 15:32 .
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
A city in the S. of Judah (Joshua 15:32). One of Simeon's cities in Joshua 19:6 Sharuhen; SHAARAIM in 1 Chronicles 4:31. (See SHARUHEN.) The Imperial Bible Dictionary connects Shilhim with Shiloah or Siloam from shaalach "send," waters sent from a fountain (John 9:7; Nehemiah 3:15), and identifies with el Birein, "the wells" four in number, each 25 or 30 ft. deep. The name appears in wady es Serum, which is near and contains "ruins of Serum," khirbet es Seram .
- Called Shilhim
in Joshua 15:32, SHAARAIM in 1 Chronicles 4:31
- Town where tribe of Simeon lived (1 Chronicles 4:31 ), but the parallel texts read Shilhim
(Joshua 15:32 ) and Sharuhen (Joshua 19:6 )
- A town of Simeon ( 1 Chronicles 4:31 ); called Sharuhen in Joshua 19:5 , and Shilhim
in Joshua 15:32
- ) The Imperial Bible Dictionary connects Shilhim
with Shiloah or Siloam from shaalach "send," waters sent from a fountain (John 9:7; Nehemiah 3:15), and identifies with el Birein, "the wells" four in number, each 25 or 30 ft
- ” Town assigned to tribe of Simeon (Joshua 19:6 ) located in the territory of Judah (Joshua 15:32 , where spelling is Shilhim
; in 1 Chronicles 4:31 spelling is Shaaraim; Egyptian spelling is apparently Shurahuna)
- Ewald and Hengstenberg prefer Shilhim
(LXX Septuagint Σελεείμ) in the extreme south of Judaea, mentioned (Joshua 15:32) in connexion with Ain. But elsewhere (Joshua 19:7, 1 Chronicles 4:32, Nehemiah 11:29) Ain is connected with Rimmon and not with Shilhim
We thus get the following identifications: (1) Tell Ridhgah, (2) Sharabil, (3) Salim east of Nâblus, (4) Wady Sulcim near Anata, (5) ‘Ain Karim, (6) Shilhim
in the Negeb
- Sharuhen, however, should not be dropped, for it is identical with the Shilhim
of Joshua 15:32