Places Study on Ptolemais

Places Study on Ptolemais

Acts 21: And when we had finished our course from Tyre, we came to Ptolemais, and saluted the brethren, and abode with them one day.

Chain Links

Dictionary

Easton's Bible Dictionary - Ptolemais
A maritime city of Galilee (Acts 21:7 ). It was originally called "Accho" (q.v.), and received the name Ptolemais from Ptolemy Soter when he was in possession of Coele-Syria.

A Dictionary of Early Christian Biography - Antiochus, Bishop of Ptolemais
Antiochus (1) , bp. of Ptolemais, c. A.D. 401. To display his oratorical powers in a wider field he left Ptolemais and settled at Constantinople, where his fine voice and appropriate action, together with the eloquent and perspicuous character of his discourses, soon attracted large auditories, by whom, like his great contemporary John, he was surnamed "The Golden-mouthed." Having amassed considerable wealth, he returned to his deserted see, where he employed his leisure in composing a long treatise "against avarice." He took a zealous part in the proceedings against Chrysostom, and is reckoned by Palladius among his bitterest enemies. He died in the reign of Arcadius, before A.D. 408, and, according to Nicephorus, his end, like that of all the enemies of Chrysostom, was miserable. A homily on The Cure of the Blind Man is also mentioned. With the exception of a sentence quoted by Theodoret, Dial. 2, and a longer fragment given in the Catena on St. John , xix. p. 443, his works have perished (Socr. vi. 11; Soz. viii. 10; Niceph. xiii. 26; Gennadius in Catalog. ; Pallad. Dialog. p. 49; Fabr. Bibl. Gk. ix. 259).

[E.V.]

Morrish Bible Dictionary - Ptolemais
See ACCHO.

Fausset's Bible Dictionary - Ptolemais
Originally ACCHO; the old name is resumed, Jean, d'Acre. Paul visited the Christians there on his return from his third missionary journey, between Tyre and Caesarea (Acts 21:3; Acts 21:7-8).

Watson's Biblical & Theological Dictionary - Ptolemais
See ACCHO .

Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible - Ptolemais
PTOLEMAIS ( Acts 21:7 ). The same as Acco ( Judges 1:31 ), now the port ‘Akka , called in the West, since Crusading times. Acre or St. Jean d’Acre . Acco received the name Ptolemais some time in the 3rd cent b.c., probably in honour of Ptolemy ii., but although the name was in common use for many centuries, it reverted to its Semitic name after the decline of Greek influence. Although so very casually mentioned in OT and NT, this place has had as varied and tragic a history as almost any spot in Palestine. On a coast peculiarly unfriendly to the mariner, the Bay of ‘Akka is one of the few spots where nature has lent its encouragement to the building of a harbour; its importance in history has always been as the port of Galilee and Damascus, of the Hauran and Gilead, while in the days of Western domination the Roman Ptolemais and the Crusading St. Jean d’Acre served as the landing-place of governors, of armies, and of pilgrims. So strong a fortress, guarding so fertile a plain, and a port on the highroad to such rich lands to north, east, and south, could never have been overlooked by hostile armies, and so we find the Egyptian Thothmes iii., Setl i., and Rameses ii., the Assyrian Sennacherib, Esarhaddon, and Ashurbanipal, and several of the Ptolemys engaged in its conquest or defence. It is much in evidence in the history of the Maccabees, a queen Cleopatra of Egypt holds it for a time, and here some decades later Herod the Great entertains Cæsar. During the Jewish revolt it is an important base for the Romans, and both Vespasian and Titus visit it. In later times, such warriors as Baldwin i. and Guy de Lusignan, Richard Cœur de Lion and Saladin, Napoleon i. and Ibrahim Pasha are associated with its history.

In the OT it is mentioned only as one of the cities of Asher (Judges 1:31 ), while in Acts 21:7 it occurs as the port where St. Paul landed, ‘saluted the brethren, and abode with them one day,’ on his way to the new and powerful rival port, Cæsarea, which a few decades previously had sprung up to the south.

The modern ‘Akka (11,000 inhabitants) is a city, much reduced from its former days of greatness, situated on a rocky promontory of land at the N. extremity of the bay to which it gives its name. The sea lies on the W. and S., and somewhat to the E. The ancient harbour lay on the S, and was protected by a mole running E. from the S. extremity, and one running S. from the S.E. corner of the city. Ships of moderate dimensions can approach near the city, and the water is fairly deep. The walls, partially Crusading work, which still surround the city, are in the ruined state to which they were reduced in 1840 by the bombardment by the English fleet under Sir Sidney Smith. Extending from Carmel in the south to the ‘Ladder of Tyre’ in the north, and eastward to the foothills of Galilee, is the great and well-watered ‘Plain of Acre,’ a region which, though sandy and sterile close to the sea, is of rich fertility elsewhere. The two main streams of this plain are the Nahr Na‘mân (R. Belus), just south of ‘Akka, and the Kishon near Carmel.

Under modern conditions, Haifa , with its better anchorage for modern steamships, and its new railway to Damascus, is likely to form a successful rival to ‘Akka .

E. W. G. Masterman.

American Tract Society Bible Dictionary - Ptolemais
See ACCHO.

Hastings' Dictionary of the New Testament - Ptolemais
(Πτολεμαΐς)

Ptolemais is the ancient Canaanite town of Acco (mentioned in Judges 1:31 and in the corrected text of Joshua 19:30), still known in Arab. as ‛ Akka. Standing on the rocky promontory which forms the northern boundary of the sandy Bay of Acre, protected by the sea on the W., S., and S.E., and strongly fortified on the landward side, it came to be regarded as the key of Palestine, and its chequered history is chiefly a record of sieges, of which it has probably had to endure more in ancient and modern times than any other Syrian town. Between it and the hills of Galilee lies the fertile Plain of Acre, six miles in width, watered by the Nahr Namein, the ancient Belus, a river famous for the manufacture-Pliny (HN_ xxxvi. 65. 26) says the invention-of glass at its mouth, as well as for the murex shells from which purple dye was extracted by the Phcenicians.

The town rose to considerable importance under the Macedonian kings of Egypt, who converted it into a Greek city, and its new name-given probably by Ptolemy Soter, and retained when the rival kings of Syria gained the mastery-continued to be used till the end of the Roman period, after which the old native name was revived. The city played a prominent part in the Maccabaean wars. There Simon routed the Syrian Greeks (1 Maccabees 5:15), and there Jonathan was treacherously captured by Trypho (1 Maccabees 12:45-48). Ptolemais had an era dating from a visit of Julius Caesar in 47 b.c. Augustus was entertained in it by Herod the Great (Jos. Ant. xv. vi. 7), and Claudius established it as a colonia (Pliny, HN_ v. 17). The Romans used it as a base of operations in the Jewish war, at the outbreak of which its inhabitants proved their loyalty to Rome by massacring 2,000 Jews resident in the city and putting others in bonds (Jos. BJ_ II. xviii. 5).

Ptolemais is mentioned only once in the NT. St. Paul touched it in sailing from Tyre to Caesarea (Acts 21:7). Its distance from Tyre is 25 miles. The Apostle saluted the Christians whom he found in the town, and remained a day in their company. The founder of the Church is not known. Philip the Evangelist, who laboured in Caesarea, has been suggested.

Under the name of Accon (St. Jean d’Acre of the Knights of St. John), the town was the scene of many conflicts in the time of the Crusaders, who made it their chief port in Palestine. Its capture by the Saracens brought the kingdom of the Franks to an end. The destruction of the city ‘produced terror all over Europe; for, with its fall in 1291, the power of the Christian nations of the West lost its last hold upon the East’ (C. Ritter, The Comparative Geography of Palestine and the Sinaitic Peninsula, 1866, iv. 361). Reconstructed in the 18th cent., besieged in vain by Napoleon (1799), captured by Ibrahim Pasha (1831), and bombarded by the fleets of Britain, Austria, and Turkey (1840), it still has some commercial importance, though the recent growth of Haifa has told heavily against it.

Literature.-A. P. Stanley, Sinai and Palestine, new ed., 1877, p. 265 f.; G. A. Smith, HGHL_4, 1897; W. M. Thomson, The Land and the Book, 1864, p. 308; C. Baedeker, Palestine and Syria4, 1906; E. Schürer, HJP_ II. [1885] i. 90 f.

James Strahan.

Sentence search

Acco - See Ptolemais
ac'Cho - (the Ptolemais of the Maccabees and New Testament), Now called Acca , or more usually by Europeans St. Later it was named Ptolemais, after one of the Ptolemies, probably Soter. The only notice of it in the New Testament is in ( Acts 21:7 ) where it is called Ptolemais
Acco - The Greeks renamed Acco, Ptolemais. On his third missionary voyage, Paul spent one day in Ptolemais (Acts 21:7 )
Ummah - letters m and k , for Acco (Ptolemais)
Ptolemais - ), and received the name Ptolemais from Ptolemy Soter when he was in possession of Coele-Syria
Hegemonides - An officer left in command of the district from Ptolemais to the Gerrenians, by Lyslas when he was forced to return to Syria to oppose the chancellor Philip (b
Libya - of Egypt, opposite Crete, including Cyrene, the Cyrenaica pentepolitana, containing the five cities Berenice, Arsinoe, Ptolemais, Apollonia, and Cyrene
Beten - In the fourth century it was shown 8 Roman miles east of Ptolemais (Acco)
Acre - Under the Romans it was called Ptolemais
Achzib - It is found near the sea coast, ten or twelve miles north of Ptolemais, and was visited by Buckingham in 1816
Sabellian - ) A follower of Sabellius, a presbyter of Ptolemais in the third century, who maintained that there is but one person in the Godhead, and that the Son and Holy Spirit are only different powers, operations, or offices of the one God the Father
Antiochus, Bishop of Ptolemais - of Ptolemais, c. To display his oratorical powers in a wider field he left Ptolemais and settled at Constantinople, where his fine voice and appropriate action, together with the eloquent and perspicuous character of his discourses, soon attracted large auditories, by whom, like his great contemporary John, he was surnamed "The Golden-mouthed
Accho - In the New Testament, Accho is called Ptolemais, Acts 21:7 ; from one of the Ptolemais, who enlarged and beautified it
Jokneam - of Legio, on the road to Ptolemais
Achzib - It is situated about ten miles north of Accho, or Ptolemais
Accho - It was known to the ancient Greeks and Romans by the name of Ptolemais, from Ptolemy the king of Egypt, who rebuilt it about B
Dor - of Caesarea toward Ptolemais; now Tantura
Cyrene - It was sometimes called PENTAPOLIS, from the five principal cities that it contained-Cyrene, Apollonia, Arsinoe, Berenice, and Ptolemais
Colony - Other Roman colonies included Ptolemais (Acco) and Iconium
Dor - (1 Kings 4:11 ) jerome places it on the coast, "in the ninth mile from Caesarea, on the way to Ptolemais
Accho - Ptolemais in the New Testament, Jean d'Acre (named from the knights of John of Jerusalem); called "the key of Palestine
Phenicia - At other times its southern limit is said to have been Mount Carmel and Ptolemais. ... The chief cities of Phenicia were Sidon, Tyre, Ptolemais, Ecdippe, Sarepta, Berythe, Biblos, Tripoli, Orthosia, Simira, Aradus
Jonathan - Treacherously seized by Tryphon, he was murdered at Ptolemais (1Machabees 12)
Accho - afterward called Ptolemais, and now Akka by the Arabs, and Acre by the Turks. In succeeding times it was enlarged by the first Ptolemy, to whose lot it fell, and who named it after himself, Ptolemais. John, erected by the Knights of Jerusalem, whence the city changed its name of Ptolemais for that of St. ... "Of the splendour of Ptolemais, no perfect monument remains; but throughout the town are seen shafts of red and grey granite, and marble pillars
Accho - Accho (ăk'ko), heated sand, now Acca or Acre, Judges 1:31, or Ptolemais (so called after the first Ptolemy, king of Egypt, into whose hands it fell about 100 years before Christ), was a seaport town on the bay of Acre, over against Carmel, about 30 miles south of Tyre
Libya - The part adjoining Egypt was sometimes called Libya Marmarica; and that around Cyrene, Cyrenaica, from its chief city; or Pentapolitana, from its chief city; or Pentapolitana, from its five cities, Cyrene, Apollonia, Berenice, Arsinoe, and Ptolemais
Ptolemais - (Πτολεμαΐς)... Ptolemais is the ancient Canaanite town of Acco (mentioned in Judges 1:31 and in the corrected text of Joshua 19:30), still known in Arab. Ptolemais had an era dating from a visit of Julius Caesar in 47 b. ... Ptolemais is mentioned only once in the NT
Ptolemais - Ptolemais ( Acts 21:7 ). Acco received the name Ptolemais some time in the 3rd cent b. On a coast peculiarly unfriendly to the mariner, the Bay of ‘Akka is one of the few spots where nature has lent its encouragement to the building of a harbour; its importance in history has always been as the port of Galilee and Damascus, of the Hauran and Gilead, while in the days of Western domination the Roman Ptolemais and the Crusading St
Colony - Pisidian Antioch, Lystra, Corinth, and Ptolemais, not to mention others, were coloniœ
Sharon - Modern travellers give this name also to the plain that lies between Ecdippe and Ptolemais
Theodorus of Tabenna - When Pachomius died Theodorus was offered the abbacy, but withdrew in favour of Orsisius, on whose retirement he succeeded, made many reforms, visited the subject monasteries, and founded 5 new ones at or near Ptolemais, Hermothis, Caius, Obi, and Bechre (Boll
Libya - It was called Pentapolitana Regio by Pliny, from its five chief cities, Berenice, Arsinoe, Ptolemais, Apollonia, and Cyrene; and Lybia Cyrenaica by Ptolemy, from Cyrene its capital
Machabees, the - A period of peace followed in which Jonathan ruled as high priest in Jerusalem, but Tryphon, who was plotting for the throne of Asia, treacherously captured him at Ptolemais and later put him to death
Hypatia, Lady in Alexandria - of Ptolemais) was a devoted disciple of hers
Galilee (2) - About the year 164, Simon the brother of Judas Maccabaeus pursued the Syrians to Ptolemais, and on his way back brought the Galilaean Jews and their property to Judaea (1 Maccabees 5:21-23). by the borders of the territory belonging to Ptolemais, and by Carmel, which mountain of old belonged to the Galilaeans, but now to the Tyrians; and next it is Gaba (Jebâta* [Note: The identifications in brackets are those of Sir C. As for what is called Lower Galilee, it extends in length from Tiberias to Chabulon (Kâbûl), and Ptolemais is its neighbour on the coast; and its breadth is from the village called Xaloth (Iksâl), which lies in the great plain, to Bersabe, from which beginning the breadth of Upper Galilee is also taken to the village Baca, which divides the land of the Tyrians from Galilee; its length is also from Meloth (Meiron) to Thella (probably Tell Thala), a village near the Jordan’ (BJ iii. by the Plain of Ptolemais, on the S. Westward from the river the road ran by Safed and Ramah to Ptolemais. From it one road passed through Bethshean, the Valley of Jezreel, and the Plain of Esdraelon, to the coast of the Mediterranean, and so on to Egypt; another by Cana and Sepphoris to Ptolemais
Ptolemies - Examples included Acco renamed Ptolemais, Bethshan now termed Scythopolis, and ancient Rabboth-Ammon refounded as Philadelphia
Demetrius - Having been defeated by Zabinas at Damascus, he fled to Ptolemais, and thence to Tyre, where in b
Joppa - ... Joppa is the only natural harbor on the Mediterranean between ancient Ptolemais and Egypt, and its facilities in biblical days were far less than outstanding
Caesarea - (Acts 10:24), less than a day from Ptolemais on the N
Colony - ] Ptolemais (before a
Carmel - It had the plain of Sharon on the south; overlooked the port of Ptolemais on the north; and was bounded on the west by the Mediterranean sea; forming one of the most remarkable promontories that present themselves on the shores of that great sea
Gal'Ilee - On the west it was bounded by the territory of Ptolemais, which probably included the whole plain of Akka to the foot of Carmel
Croisade, or Crusade - ... In this expedition the emperor Frederic defeated the Sultan of Iconium: his son Frederic, joined by Guy Lasignon, king of Jerusalem, in vain endeavoured to take Acre or Ptolemais. Those engaged in it made fruitless efforts for the recovery of the holy land: for, though John de Neule, who commanded the fleet equipped in Flanders, arrived at Ptolemais a little after Simon of Montfort, Renard of Dampierre, and others, yet the plague destroying many of them, and the rest either returning, or engaging in the petty quarrels of the Christian princes, there was nothing done; so that the sultan of Aleppo easily defeated their troops in 1204. ... Prince Edward, of England, who arrived at Tunis at the time of this treaty, sailed towards Prolemais, where he landed a small body of 300 English and French, and hindered Bendochar from laying siege to Ptolemais: but being obliged to return to take possession of the crown of England, this croisade ended without contributing any thing to the recovery of the holy land. In 1291, the town of Acre or Ptolemais was taken and plundered by the sultan of Egypt, and the Christians quite driven out of Syria
Roads - Starting at Acco (Ptolemais), it ran, according to Ramsay, till it came to Karn Hattin near to Cana, and then almost due cast to Tiberias
Carmel - of Ptolemais or Acre; toward its eastern extremity 1,600 feet above the level of the sea, at the W
Grape - "At Beidtdjin," says Schultz, a "village near Ptolemais, we took our supper under a large vine, the stem of which was nearly a foot and a half in diameter, the height about thirty feet, and covered with its branches and shoots (for the shoots must be supported) a nut of more than fifty feet long and broad
Philip the Evangelist - Luke also, stayed on their way from Ptolemais to the capital (Acts 21:8)
Galilee - by the region of Ptolemais (Acre), namely, the plain of Akka to the foot of Carmel
Nazareth - a little city in the tribe of Zebulun, in Lower Galilee, to the west of Tabor, and to the east of Ptolemais
Galilee - Its principal cities were Tiberias, Chorazin, Bethsaida, Nazareth, Cana, Capernaum, Nain, Caesarea of Palestine, and Ptolemais
Wine - Khirbet Kana (Cana) is not on the road from Nazareth to Capernaum; one coming up from Capernaum to Nazareth and Cana as in the Gospel could not have come near Khirbet Kana, which is on the road from Sepphoris to Ptolemais (Acre), not on the road from Sepphoris to Tiberius
Luke (2) - Corinth, Lystra, Ptolemais, and Pisidian Antioch, to mention no others, were also Roman colonies; yet the author affixes the title to Philippi only
Judea - Its principal towns were Capernaum, at the northern extremity of the lake of Gennesareth; Bethsaida, a considerable village a few leagues south of Capernaum; Cinnereth, south of Bethsaida, rebuilt by Herod Antipas, and named Tiberias; Tarichaea, a considerable town at the efflux of the river Jordan from the sea of Tiberias, thirty stadia south from the town of Tiberias; Nazareth, two leagues north-west of Mount Tabor, and equally distant from the lake of Gennesareth and the sea coast; Arbela, six miles west of Nazareth; Sepphoris, or Dio-Caesarea, now Sefouri, a large and well fortified town, about five leagues north north-west of Mount Tabor; Zabulon, a strong and populous place, sixty stadia south-east of Ptolemais; Acre, or Accon, seven miles north from the promontory of Carmel, afterward enlarged and called Ptolemais by Ptolemy I, of Egypt, and in the time of the crusades distinguished by the name of Acre, the last city possessed by the Christians in Syria, and was taken and destroyed by the Sultan Serapha, of Egypt, in 1291; Kedes, or Cydissus, a Levitical city at the foot of Mount Panium, twenty miles south-east of Tyre; Dan, originally Laish, on the north boundary of the Holy Land, about thirty miles south- east of Sidon; Paneas, near to Dan, or, according to some, only a different name for the same place, was repaired by Philip, son of Herod the Great, and by him named Caesarea, in honour of Augustus, with the addition of Philippi, to distinguish it from the other town of the same name in Samaria; Jotapata, the strongest town in Galilee, about four leagues north north-east of Dio-Caesarea; and Japha and Gischala, two other fortified places in the same district
Titus (Emperor) - Later he retired to Ptolemais, then to Caesarea on the coast, and afterwards to Caesarea Philippi, Scythopolis, and Tiberias
Vespasian - From Antioch he marched to Ptolemais, where Titus joined him. On 5th July Vespasian left for Ptolemais, and thence he went to Caesarea on the coast
Judaea - In the one case its northern limit was Antipatris, on the plain of Sharon; in the other it extended to Acre (Ptolemais) beyond Mt
Alexandria - Philadelphus left his mark on Palestine in the cities of Philadelphia (= Rabbath-ammon, Deuteronomy 3:11 ), Ptolemais ( Acts 21:7 = Acco, Judges 1:31 ), Philoteria, etc
Judaea - In the one case its northern limit was Antipatris, on the plain of Sharon; in the other it extended to Acre (Ptolemais) beyond Mt
Phoenicia, phNicians - 41 54) made Acco, then called Ptolemais (cf
Paul - From Tyre they sailed to Ptolemais, where they spent one day, and from Ptolemais proceeded, apparently by land, to Caesarea
Galilee - 67 Vespasian assembled his army at Ptolemais and began the reduction of Galilee
Theophilus, Bishop of Alexandria - " In 410 he consecrated the eccentric philosopher and sportsman SYNESIUS to the metropolitan see of Ptolemais, who thanked him warmly for his Paschal Letter of 411, and wished him a long and happy old age (Synes
Antiochus - He came, therefore, with troops into Judea, invited Jonathan to Ptolemais, and there, on frivolous pretences, made him prisoner
Synagogue - The legendary narrative 3 Maccabees 7:17-20 tells of the founding of a synagogue at Ptolemais in Southern Egypt under Ptolemy IV
Roman Law in the nt - The colonics mentioned in the NT are; Antioch of Pisidia (Acts 13:14), Lystra (Acts 14:6), Philippi (Acts 16:12, where alone of NT passages κολωνία is found), Corinth (Acts 18:1), Ptolemais (Acts 21:7)
Palesti'na - Roads led from these various cities to each other to Jerusalem, Neapolis and Sebaste in the interior, and to Ptolemais and Gaza on the north and south
Roads And Travel - A coasting voyage followed to Tyre (Acts 21:3) and Ptolemais (Acts 21:7) and Caesarea (Acts 21:8)
Josephus - For six weeks he withstood with great skill and daring the Roman assault upon Jotapata, a fortress commanding the line of approach from Ptolemais, and then played his part with such address that, falling into the hands of the Romans as the last survivor of the siege, he caught the personal notice of Vespasian by means of a prophecy
Eusebius (60), Bishop of Nicomedia - 20) who at first refused their signatures among them both the Eusebii Theognis of Nicaea Menophantus of Ephesus Secundus of Ptolemais Theonas Patrophilus Narcissus Maris and others
Paul - Finding some disciples at Tyre, he stayed with them several days, and then went to Ptolemais, and thence to Caesarea
Chrysostom, John, Bishop of Constantinople - This cabal received an important accession by the arrival of two bishops from Palestine, Antiochus of Ptolemais and the grey-haired Acacius of Beroea (Pallad