Fausset's Bible Dictionary
- Beth Baal Meon
(See BAALMEON.) On the downs or "plain" E. of Jordan (Joshua 13:17), in Reuben. Contracted into Been (Numbers 32:3; Numbers 32:38), Bethmeon in Jeremiah 48:23. Now the ruin called "the fortress of Miun," S.W. of Hesban, in the wady Zerka Maein.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(behth-bay' uhl-mee' ahn) Place name meaning, “house of Baal's residence.” City allotted tribe of Reuben (Joshua 13:17 ). Same as Baal-meon. See Baal-meon .
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
BETH-BAAL-MEON ( Joshua 13:17 ). See Baal-Meon.
- Probably a copyist's change from original Meon (Numbers 32:3 ), a short form of Beth-meon or Beth-baal-meon
. See Beth-baal-meon
- Apparently the same as Beth-baal-meon
and Baal-meon. See Beth-baal-meon
- (Jeremiah 48:23 ) A contracted form of Beth-baal-meon
- In Reuben beyond the Jordan, Numbers 32:38 ; called also Bethmeon, Jeremiah 48:23 , and Beth-baal-meon
, Joshua 13:17
- Lord of dwelling, a town of Reuben (Numbers 32:38 ), called also Beth-meon (Jeremiah 48:23 ) and Beth-baal-meon
(Joshua 13:17 )
- Apparently also called BAAL-MEON, Beth-baal-meon
, and BEON, Joshua 13 : 17; Numbers 32:3 ; Numbers 32:38 (which says 'their names being changed'); 1 Chronicles 5:8
- The name occurs in Numbers 32:38 as Baal-meon , but in Joshua 13:17 as Beth-baal-meon
; both forms being found also on the Moahite Stone; cf