Easton's Bible Dictionary
A city in the tribe of Simeon (Joshua 19:3 ), elsewhere called Bilhah (1 Chronicles 4:29 ) and Baalah (Joshua 15:29 ).
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Joshua 19:3; a town of Simeon.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(bay' lah) Place name meaning, “used, worn out.” City in tribal territory of Simeon (Joshua 19:3 ), apparently the same as Baalah (Joshua 15:29 ) and Bilhah (1 Chronicles 4:29 ). Location in southwest Judah is unknown.
Morrish Bible Dictionary
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
BALAH ( Joshua 19:3 ). An unknown town of Simeon; perhaps identical with Bealoth ( Joshua 15:24 ) and Bilhah ( 1 Chronicles 4:29 ); called Baalah in Joshua 15:29 , where it is assigned to Judah.
- (Genesis 10:28) Derived from Balah
, old age
( Joshua 19:3 )
- Town in Simeon, 1 Chronicles 4:29 : the same as Balah
in Joshua 19:3
- in 2 Samuel 6:2 called BAALE of Judah; Joshua 19:3 Balah
; 1 Chronicles 4:29 BILHAH
- Some would identify Solomon's town with Simeon's Balah
, with Kirjath-jearim, or with Baalath-beer
- Joshua 15:29 : apparently given to Simeon, and called Balah
in Joshua 19:3 , and BILHAH in 1 Chronicles 4:29
A city in the south of Judah (Joshua 15:29 ), elsewhere called Balah
(Joshua 19:3 ) and Bilhah (1 Chronicles 4:29 ). Now Khurbet ZeBalah
- The name Ebal signifies, somewhat old and confused, from Balah
- See Joshua 15:29 ) that may be same as Balah
(Joshua 19:3 ) and as Bilhah (1 Chronicles 4:29 )
- A Simeonite town (1 Chronicles 4:29), named also Baalah or Balah
- A Simeonite city ( 1 Chronicles 4:29 ) = Baalah ( Joshua 15:29 ), Balah
( Joshua 19:3 ), and, according to some, Baalath ( Joshua 19:44 , 1 Kings 9:18 , 2 Chronicles 8:6 )
- If some other examples may be found, either before or since the law, the Scripture expressly disapproves of them; as Reuben's incest with Balah
, his father's concubine; and the action of Ammon with his sister Tamar; and that of Herod Antipas, who married Herodias, his sister-in-law, his brother Philip's wife, while her husband was yet living; and that which St
- A town in the south of Judah, Joshua 15:29, which in 19:3 is called Balah
, and in the parallel list, 1 Chronicles 4:29, Bilhah