Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Near Shechem, where Abimelech resided (Judges 9:41).
Holman Bible Dictionary
(uh ryoo' ah) Place name meaning, “exalted” or “height.” Abimelech, the judge, lived there while he fought to control Shechem (Judges 9:41 ). It may be modern Khirbet el-Ormah south of Shechem.
Morrish Bible Dictionary
City or district apparently near Shechem, the abode of Abimelech. Judges 9:41 . Identified with el-Ormeh, 32 9' N, 35 19' E .
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
ARUMAH . The place of refuge of Abimelech ( Judges 9:41 ), perhaps el-‘Ormeh , 6 miles S.E. of NÃ¢blus (Shechem).
E. W. G. Masterman.
Hitchcock's Bible Names
- ” Home of Jehoiakim's mother (2 Kings 23:36 ), possibly identified with khirbet Rumeh near Rimmon in Galilee or with Arumah
- Elevation, probably the same as Arumah
(Judges 9:41 ; 2 Kings 23:36 ), near Shechem
- occurs only in the margin of (Judges 9:31 ) By a few commentators it has been conjectured that the word was originally the same with Arumah
- But Kimchi "in Tormah" a misspelling for Arumah
- Some commentators have suggested that Tormah is a corruption of Arumah
( Judges 9:41 )
- (high ), mentioned once only -- ( 2 Kings 23:36 ) It has been conjectured to be the same place as Arumah
- 2) reads Abouma , no doubt a scribal error for Arouma , which may be the Arumah
of Judges 9:41 near Shechem
- Second son of Josiah and Zebudah, daughter of Pedaiah of Rumah (Arumah
in Manasseh, near Shechem? Judges 9:41); Johanan was the oldest son