And the sons of Simeon; Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanitish woman.
And the sons of Simeon; Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanitish woman: these are
the families of Simeon.
Of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites: of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites.
1 Chronicles 1:
And when Samlah was dead, Shaul of Rehoboth by the river reigned in his stead.
1 Chronicles 1:
And when Shaul was dead, Baalhanan the son of Achbor reigned in his stead.
1 Chronicles 4:
The sons of Simeon were
, Nemuel, and Jamin, Jarib, Zerah, and
1 Chronicles 6:
Tahath his son, Uriel his son, Uzziah his son, and Shaul his son.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(sshay' uhl) Personal name meaning, “asked of.” 1. Transliteration of Hebrew name of King Saul. 2. Grandson of Jacob and son of Simeon with a Canaanite mother (Genesis 46:10 ). 3 . Early king of Edom from Rehoboth (Genesis 36:37 ; 1 Chronicles 1:48 ). 4 . Levite (1 Chronicles 6:24 ).
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
SHAUL . 1 . A king of Edom, Genesis 36:37 f. = 1 Chronicles 1:43 f. 1 Chronicles 1:2 . A son of Simeon ( Genesis 46:10 , Exodus 6:15 , Numbers 26:13 , 1 Chronicles 4:24 ). The clan of which he is the eponym was of mixed Isr. and Can. descent, hence Shaul is called in Genesis 46:10 and Exodus 6:15 ‘the son of the Canaanitess.’ In Numbers 26:13 the patronymic Shaulites occurs. 3 . An ancestor of Samuel ( 1 Chronicles 6:24 (9), called in 1 Chronicles 6:36 (21) Joel ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Simeon by a Canaanitish woman. Genesis 46:10 , Exodus 6:15 ; Numbers 26:13 ; 1 Chronicles 4:24 .
2 . An ancient king of Edom. 1 Chronicles 1:48,49 . Called SAUL in Genesis 36:37,38 .
3. Son of Uzziah, a Kohathite. 1 Chronicles 6:24 .
Hitchcock's Bible Names
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Genesis 46:10; Exodus 6:15; Numbers 26:13; 1 Chronicles 4:24. Jewish tradition identifies Shaul with Zimri, "who did the work of the Canaanites in Shittim" (Targum Pseudo Jon., Genesis 46).
2. Shaul of Rehoboth by the river was one of the kings of Edom (1 Chronicles 1:48-49); SAUL in Genesis 36:37.
3. 1 Chronicles 6:24.
- Descendants of Shaul
, son of Simeon
- Jewish tradition identifies Shaul
with Zimri, "who did the work of the Canaanites in Shittim" (Targum Pseudo Jon. Shaul
of Rehoboth by the river was one of the kings of Edom (1 Chronicles 1:48-49); SAUL in Genesis 36:37
- (sshay' uhl ite) Member of clan of tribe of Simeon descended from Shaul
(Numbers 26:13 )
- wrath, of God ), a man of Simeon, of the family of Shaul
. descent, hence Shaul
is called in Genesis 46:10 and Exodus 6:15 ‘the son of the Canaanitess. ’ In Numbers 26:13 the patronymic Shaul
Rehoboth by the River
- The Edomite king Saul's or Shaul
's city (Genesis 36:37). As Edom never extended to the Euphrates' "river," probably an Assyrian invasion put Shaul
from Rehoboth on the Edomite throne. of the river; four or five miles further down on the left bank is Rahbeth malik , "royal Rehoboth"; whether this be Shaul
's city, or whether it be Rehoboth Ir, is uncertain (1 Chronicles 1:48)
The city of a certain Saul or Shaul
, one of the early kings of the Edomites
- City in the East, 'by the river,' from whence one named Saul, or Shaul
, became an early king of Edom
- ) ...
Son of Shaul
the son of Simeon
- Son of Shaul
, a son of Simeon
- ) ...
In (1 Chronicles 6:36 ) Authorized Version, Joel seems to be merely a corruption of Shaul
- It is usually rendered Shaul
for a king of Edom ( Genesis 36:37-38 ), the last son of Simeon (Genesis 46:10 ), and a Levite of the Kohathites (1 Chronicles 6:24 )
- Joel, a corruption of Shaul
(1 Chronicles 6:24; 1 Chronicles 6:36)
A king of Edom (Genesis 36:37,38 ); called Shaul
in 1 Chronicles 1:48
- The Canaanitess mother of Shaul
(Genesis 46:10) and the Horite father of Shaphat the spy from Simeon (Numbers 13:5) indicate the laxness of Simeon in marriage connections, from whence sprang his paganish degeneracy