And Jeshua begat Joiakim, Joiakim also begat Eliashib, and Eliashib begat Joiada,
And Joiada begat Jonathan, and Jonathan begat Jaddua.
The Levites in the days of Eliashib, Joiada, and Johanan, and Jaddua, were
recorded chief of the fathers: also the priests, to the reign of Darius the Persian.
of the sons of Joiada, the son of Eliashib the high priest, was
son in law to Sanballat the Horonite: therefore I chased him from me.
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
JOIADA. 1. One of the two who repaired the ‘old gate’ ( Nehemiah 3:6 ). 2. High priest, son of Eliashib ( Nehemiah 12:10-11 ; Nehemiah 12:22 ). One of his sons married the daughter of Sanballat the Horonite ( Nehemiah 13:28 f.).
Easton's Bible Dictionary
(Whom Jehovah favours) = Jehoiada.
Nehemiah 3:6 .
One of the high priests (12:10,11,22).
Holman Bible Dictionary
(joy' uh duh) Short form of personal name Jehoiada meaning, “Yah knows.” 1. Man who helped repair the old gate of Jerusalem under Nehemiah (Nehemiah 3:6 , KJV reads, Jehoiada). 2. High priest about 425 B.C. (Nehemiah 12:10-11 ,Nehemiah 12:10-11,12:22 ). Ezra suspected one of his sons, who married Sanballat's daughter, of being a traitor (Nehemiah 13:28 ). See Leviticus 21:14 ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
Son of Eliashib, a descendant of Jeshua the priest. Nehemiah 12:10,11,22 ; Nehemiah 13:28 .
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Nehemiah 13:28; Nehemiah 12:11-22. High-priest after his father Eliashib. His son married the Horonite Sanballat's daughter.
- Father of Joiada
(Nehemiah 3:6 )
- The father of Joiada
( Nehemiah 3:6 )
- His daughter became the wife of one of the sons of Joiada
, a son of the high priest, much to the grief of (Nehemiah 13:28 )
- He was son of Joiakim, grandson of Jeshua the son of Jozadak, the contemporary of Zerubbabel ( Nehemiah 12:10 , Ezra 3:1 ), and father of Joiada
( Nehemiah 12:10 ; Nehemiah 13:28 ). See Joiada
- The only other incident in his life is his alliance with the high priest's family by the marriage of his daughter with one of the grandsons of Eliashib; but the expulsion from the priesthood of the guilty son of Joiada
by Nehemiah promptly followed
- He is called son of Eliashib in Ezra 10:6 , Nehemiah 12:23 , but was probably his grandson, Joiada
being his father ( Nehemiah 12:11 ; Nehemiah 12:22 )
- He was the son of Joiakim and the father of Joiada
(Nehemiah 12:10 )
- 441, in his absence the high priest Eliashib married his grandson Manasseh son of Joiada
to a daughter of Sanballat and allowed Tobiah, a kinsman of Sanballat, an apartment in the temple
- ) ...
Son of Joiada
, and his successor in the high priesthood
- Priest, son of Joiada
(Nehemiah 12:11 )
- One characteristic sentence vividly illustrates this relentless zeal: ‘And one of the sons of Joiada
, the son of Eliashib the high priest, was son-in-law to San-ballat the Horonite: therefore I chased him from me’ ( Nehemiah 13:28 )
- His successors were Joiakim, Eliashib, Joiada
, Johanan (Jonathan), and Jaddua