Holman Bible Dictionary
(i' rad) Personal name of uncertain meaning. Son of Enoch (Genesis 4:18 ).
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Son of Enoch, grandson of Cain, father of Mehujael (Genesis 4:18). The similarity of the names to those in Seth's line, Enoch, Cainan, Jared, Mahalaleel, arose from the paucity of names at first, the relationship of Seth's and Cain's families, and their occasional intercourse. Still there is difference enough in the names to distinguish them.
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
IRAD . Son of Enoch and grandson of Cain ( Genesis 4:18 ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
Son of Enoch and grandson of Cain. Genesis 4:18 .
Hitchcock's Bible Names
Wild ass; heap of empire; dragon
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Runner; wild ass, one of the antediluvian patriarchs, the father of Mehujael (Genesis 4:18 ), and grandson of Cain.
- Son of Irad
, a descendant of Cain
- Smitten by God, the son of Irad
, and father of Methusael (Genesis 4:18 )
- (smitten by God ), the son of Irad
, and fourth in descent from Cain
- ” Son of Irad
(Genesis 4:18 )
- A name used for the descendants of Cain, of whom nine in the direct line are mentioned in the Bible: Henoch, Irad
, Maviael, Mathusael, Lamech, and Lamech's four children, Jabel and Jubal by his wife Ada, Tubalcain and his sister Noemi by his second wife Sella
- Jared should be distinguished from Irad
mentioned in Genesis 4, as the Son of Henoch
- The names of Enoch and Lamech occur on both genealogies, and other names (such as Cain and Kenan, Irad
and Jared) are similar enough in Hebrew to be variations of the same name
- 4:18, which reports that Irad
“begat” (“became the father of”) Mehujael