1 Chronicles 7:
Shuppim also, and Huppim, the children of Ir, and
Hushim, the sons of Aher.
1 Chronicles 8:
And Shaharaim begat children
in the country of Moab, after he had sent them away; Hushim and Baara were
Holman Bible Dictionary
(hyoo' sshihm) Personal name meaning, “hurried ones.” 1. Son of Dan and grandson of Jacob (Genesis 46:23 ). 2 . Member of tribe of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 7:12 ), though many Bible students think copying has caused omission of tribe of Dan in the list, Hushim here being the same as in Genesis 46:23 . Dan's son is named Shuham in Numbers 26:42 , perhaps resulting from a copying transposition of Hebrew letters. 3. Wife of Shaharaim of tribe of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 8:8 ) and mother of Abitub and Elpaal (1 Chronicles 8:11 ). Apparently, her husband sent her away either for safety or as part of family problems before he went to Moab.
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. "Children of Dan" (Genesis 46:23); a clan, for the word is plural. In Numbers 26:42 SHUHAM.
2. 1 Chronicles 7:12.
3. 1 Chronicles 8:8; 1 Chronicles 8:11.
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Sons of Dan (as if a tribe was alluded to). Genesis 46:23 . Perhaps the same as SHUHAMin Numbers 26:42 .
2. Sons of Aher a Benjamite (as if a tribe was alluded to). 1 Chronicles 7:12 .
3. One of the wives of Shaharaim, 1 Chronicles 8:8,11 .
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
HUSHIM. 1. The eponym of a Danite family ( Genesis 46:23 ); called in Numbers 26:42 Sam huham . In 1 Chronicles 7:12 Hushim seems to be a Benjamite, but it is possible that for ‘sons of Aher’ we should read ‘sons of another,’ i.e. Daniel 2:1-49 . The wife of Shaharaim the Benjamite ( 1 Chronicles 8:8 ; 1 Chronicles 8:11 ).
- Son of Shaharaim and Hushim
- (father of goodness ), son of Shaharaim by Hushim
. In 1 Chronicles 7:12 Hushim
seems to be a Benjamite, but it is possible that for ‘sons of Aher’ we should read ‘sons of another,’ i
- Possibly a second name of one of Shaharaim's two wives, Hushim
and Baara (1 Chronicles 8:9)
- A son of Dan ( Numbers 26:42 ), called in Genesis 46:23 Hushim
; gentilic Shuhamites in Numbers 26:42
In (Genesis 46:23 ) "the children of Dan" are said to have been Hushim
A Benjamite, (1 Chronicles 7:12 ) and here again apparently the plural nature of the name is recognized, and Hushim
are stated to be "the sons of Aher
- (God his wages ), a Benjamite, son of Hushim
and brother of Abitub
- (hyoo' shitess) NIV translation of Hushim
(1 Chronicles 7:12 ), interpreting it as the name of a population group rather than as an individual
- (following ), ancestor of Hushim
's son; Ahitub's brother. Hushim
was the name of a Danite family, so that the two tribes must have intermarried (1 Chronicles 8:11-18)
- He begat in Moab, after he had sent them namely, Hushim
and Baara his wives away; there he begat, with Hodesh his wife, Jobab, etc
- Member of tribe of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 7:12 ), though many Bible students think copying has caused omission of tribe of Dan in the list, Hushim
here being the same as in Genesis 46:23
- Dan had but one son, whose name was Hushim
, Genesis 46:23 ; yet he had a numerous posterity; for, on leaving Egypt, this tribe consisted of sixty-two thousand seven hundred men able to bear arms, Numbers 1:38
- Of Dan's personal history we know nothing, except that he had one son, Hushim
- As Husham is like Bela a king of Edom, so with Bela son of Benjamin is connected a Benjamite family of Hushim
, sprung from a foreign woman of Moab (1 Chronicles 7:12; 1 Chronicles 8:8-11)
- ] ( Judges 18:11 ) speaks of it as a ‘family’; elsewhere Dan is said to have had only one son, Hushim
or Shuham ( Genesis 46:23 , Numbers 26:42 )
(the plural implying a family) or Shuham alone is mentioned as Dan's son (Genesis 46:23); but at the Exodus the tribe stood second of Israel in numbers (Numbers 1:39), Numbers 1:62,700; 64,400 at the close of the wilderness sojourn (Numbers 26:43)