Holman Bible Dictionary
(hee' man) Personal name of uncertain meaning. Descendant of Seir (Genesis 36:22 ). The parallel passage spells the name Homam (1 Chronicles 1:39 ).
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
HEMAM . A Horite clan of Edom ( Genesis 36:22 ). 1 Chronicles 1:39 has Homam , but the LXX [Note: Septuagint.] in both places Heman . Many scholars follow the LXX [Note: Septuagint.] , others identify with Humaimeh south of Petra, or Hammam near Maon.
George A. Barton.
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Genesis 36:22. Hence comes Homaima, a place to the S. of Petra.
Morrish Bible Dictionary
Son of Lotan, a descendant of Seir. Genesis 36:22 . Called HOMAMin 1 Chronicles 1:39 .
- Hori and Hemam
were sons of Lotan, the eldest son of Seir
- (1 Chronicles 1:39); Hemam
, Genesis 36
- (destruction ), the form under which, in ( 1 Chronicles 1:39 ) an Edomite name appears which in (Genesis 36:22 ) is given Hemam
- The parallel passage reads Hemam
(Genesis 36:22 )
- Son of Lotan, son of Seir, brother to Hemam
- KJV renders the name Hemam