Of the children of Joseph: of Ephraim; Elishama the son of Ammihud: of Manasseh; Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur.
On the west side shall be
the standard of the camp of Ephraim according to their armies: and the captain of the sons of Ephraim shall be
Elishama the son of Ammihud.
On the seventh day Elishama the son of Ammihud, prince of the children of Ephraim, offered
And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was
the offering of Elishama the son of Ammihud.
And the standard of the camp of the children of Ephraim set forward according to their armies: and over his host was
Elishama the son of Ammihud.
2 Kings 25:
But it came to pass in the seventh month, that Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, the son of Elishama, of the seed royal, came, and ten men with him, and smote Gedaliah, that he died, and the Jews and the Chaldees that were with him at Mizpah.
2 Chronicles 17:
And with them he sent
Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and Tobadonijah, Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, priests.
Then he went down into the king's house, into the scribe's chamber: and, lo, all the princes sat there, even
Elishama the scribe, and Delaiah the son of Shemaiah, and Elnathan the son of Achbor, and Gemariah the son of Shaphan, and Zedekiah the son of Hananiah, and all the princes.
And they went in to the king into the court, but they laid up the roll in the chamber of Elishama the scribe, and told all the words in the ears of the king.
So the king sent Jehudi to fetch the roll: and he took it out of Elishama the scribe's chamber. And Jehudi read it in the ears of the king, and in the ears of all the princes which stood beside the king.
Now it came to pass in the seventh month, that
Ishmael the son of Nethaniah the son of Elishama, of the seed royal, and the princes of the king, even ten men with him, came unto Gedaliah the son of Ahikam to Mizpah; and there they did eat bread together in Mizpah.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(ih lihssh' uh muh) Personal name meaning, “God heard.” 1. Leader of the tribe of Ephraim under Moses in the wilderness (Numbers 1:10 ). He presented the tribe's offerings at the dedication of the altar (Numbers 7:48-53 ). Compare 1 Chronicles 7:26 . 2 . David's son born after he captured and moved to Jerusalem (2 Samuel 5:16 ). He is apparently listed twice in 1Chronicles 3:6,1 Chronicles 3:8 , though 1 Chronicles 14:5 reads the first Elishama as Elishua, as in 2 Samuel 5:15 . 3 . A royal scribe under King Jehoiakim (609-597 B.C.). Baruch's scroll of Jeremiah's preaching was stored in Elishama's room before it was taken to be read to the king (Jeremiah 36:12-21 ). 4 . An ancestor with royal bloodlines of Ishmael, the person who murdered Gedaliah and took over political control of Judah immediately after Babylon had destroyed Jerusalem (2 Kings 25:25 ). 5 . A descendant of the clan of Jerahmeel in the tribe of Judah (1 Chronicles 2:41 ). 6 . Priest under King Jehoshaphat (873-848 B.C.). He taught the book of the law to the people of Judah at the king's request (2 Chronicles 17:7-9 ).
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Whom God hears.
A prince of Benjamin, grandfather of Joshua (Numbers 1:10 ; 1 Chronicles 7:26 ).
One of David's sons (2 Samuel 5:16 ).
Another of David's sons (1 Chronicles 3:6 ).
A priest sent by Jehoshaphat to teach the people the law (2 Chronicles 17:8 ).
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Numbers 1:10; Numbers 2:18; Numbers 7:48; Numbers 10:22; 1 Chronicles 7:26-27. 1 Chronicles 7:2. 2 Samuel 5:15-16; 1 Chronicles 3:6; 1 Chronicles 3:8; 1 Chronicles 14:7.
3. 1 Chronicles 2:41. According to tradition, father of Nethaniah and grandfather of Ishmael, "of the seed royal" at the captivity (2 Kings 25:25; Jeremiah 41:1).
4. Jeremiah 36:12; Jeremiah 36:20-21. Jeremiah 36:5. 2 Chronicles 17:8.
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
ELISHAMA . 1. A prince of the tribe of Ephraim at the census in the wilderness, son of Ammihud and grandfather of Joshua ( Numbers 1:10 ; Numbers 2:18 , 1 Chronicles 7:26 ). 2. One of David’s sons, born in Jerusalem ( 2 Samuel 5:16 , 1 Chronicles 3:8 ; 1 Chronicles 14:7 ). 3. In 1 Chronicles 3:6 by mistake for Elishua of 2 Samuel 5:15 , 1 Chronicles 14:5 . 1 Chronicles 14:4 . A descendant of Judah, son of Jekamiah ( 1 Chronicles 2:41 ). 5. The father of Nethaniah, and grandfather of Ishmael, ‘of the seed royal,’ who killed Gedaliah at the time of the Exile ( 2 Kings 25:25 , Jeremiah 41:1 ). Jerome, following Jewish tradition identifies him with No. 4. 6. A scribe or secretary to Jehoiakim ( Jeremiah 36:12 ; Jeremiah 36:20-21 ). 7. A priest sent by Jehoshaphat to teach the Law in the cities of Judah ( 2 Chronicles 17:8 ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Ammihud and grandfather of Joshua: he was a chief of Ephraim. Numbers 1:10 ; Numbers 2:18 ; Numbers 7:48,53 ; Numbers 10:22 ; 1 Chronicles 7:26 .
2,3. Two sons of David born at Jerusalem. 2 Samuel 5:16 ; 1 Chronicles 3:6,8 ; 1 Chronicles 14:7 : one of whom is apparently called ELISHUAin 2 Samuel 5:15 ; 1 Chronicles 14:5 .
4. Son of Jekamiah, a descendant of Judah. 1 Chronicles 2:41 .
5. Father of Nethaniah, 'of the seed royal.' 2 Kings 25:25 ; Jeremiah 41:1 .
6. Priest sent by Jehoshaphat to instruct the people. 2 Chronicles 17:8 .
7. Scribe or secretary of Jehoiakim. Jeremiah 36:12,20,21 .
Hitchcock's Bible Names
- Son of Elishama
, and father of Joshua
- God his salvation, a son of David, 2 Samuel 5:15 = Elishama
, 1 Chronicles 3:6
- Called Elishama
in 1 Chronicles 3:6
- A son of David ( 2 Samuel 5:15 , 1 Chronicles 14:5 ; also 1 Chronicles 3:6 [corrected text; see Elishama
- Ephraimite chief, father of Elishama
- Son of Elishama
and father of Ishmael who slew Gedaliah
The father of the Ephraimite chief Elishama
, at the time of the Exodus (Numbers 1:10 ; 2:18 ; 7:48,53 )
The son of Elishama
, and father of Ishmael who murdered Gedaliah
An Ephraimite father of Elishama
, the chief of the tribe at the time of the Exodus
- An Ephraimite, father of Elishama
( Numbers 1:10 ; Numbers 2:18 ; Numbers 7:48 ; Numbers 7:53 ; Numbers 10:22 (P [Note: Priestly Narrative
- Father of Elishama
, who represented the tribe of Ephraim to help Moses during the wilderness wandering (Numbers 1:10 )
- Hervey, viewing 1 Chronicles 7 as corrupt, restores the line of Shuthelah thus:...
(4) Eran or Laadan;...
, captain of Ephraim (Numbers 1:10);...
- He is apparently listed twice in 1Chronicles 3:6,1 Chronicles 3:8 , though 1 Chronicles 14:5 reads the first Elishama
as Elishua, as in 2 Samuel 5:15 . Baruch's scroll of Jeremiah's preaching was stored in Elishama
's room before it was taken to be read to the king (Jeremiah 36:12-21 )
- After Azariah in that genealogy are six generations, ending with Elishama
; and from Joash to Hezekiah also six; therefore Elishama
was contemporary with Hezekiah
- Baruch was at the same time advised to consult his own safety, and to let no man know where he was to be found; after which they took from him the roll of his prophecies, and deposited it in the chamber of Elishama
, the scribe
- Son of Nethaniah, son of Elishama
of the seed royal of Judah (Jeremiah 40:7-41;Jeremiah 40:15; 2 Kings 25:23-25). Possibly descended from Elishama
, David's son (2 Samuel 5:16)
- On hearing of the roll, Jehoiakim sent Jehudi his ready tool to fetch it from Elishama
the scribe's chamber; for sinners fleeing from God yet, by an involuntary instinct, seek to hear His words against them
- In the reign of David, Seraiah, 2 Samuel 8:17 , in the reign of Hezekiah, Shebna, 2 Kings 18:18 , and in the reign of Josiah, Shaphan, 2 Kings 22:3 , are called scribes, and are ranked with the chief officers of the kingdom; and Elishama
the scribe, Jeremiah 36:12 , in the reign of Jehoiakim, is mentioned among the princes