And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was
Cozbi, the daughter of Zur; he was
head over a people, and
of a chief house in Midian.
For they vex you with their wiles, wherewith they have beguiled you in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, which was slain in the day of the plague for Peor's sake.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(cahz' bi) Personal name meaning, “my falsehood.” A Midianite woman who was slain by Phinehas after being brought into the tent of an Israelite man named Zimri (Numbers 25:15 ). When both she and Zimri were executed, a plague that was sweeping through the Israelite camp was stopped.
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
COZBI . The Midianitess slain by Phinehas ( Numbers 25:15 ; Numbers 25:18 ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
The Midianitish woman who was slain by Phinehas. Numbers 25:15,18 .
Hitchcock's Bible Names
A liar; sliding away
- Father of Cozbi
and a prince of Midian, slain with four other princes by Moses
- Midianite tribal chief (Numbers 25:15 NIV) whose daughter, Cozbi
, was killed along with an Israelite man by Phinehas
- He showed his zeal for God in slaying Zimri and Cozbi
, for which he was commended by God, who promised His 'covenant of peace' to him and his seed, even 'the covenant of an everlasting priesthood
- When Israel were being plagued for the impure worship of Baal Peor, and were weeping and craving mercy before the tabernacle, Zimri shamelessly brought a Midianitess, Cozbi
daughter of Zur, into the dome-shaped tent (qubbah , the al-cove, or arched inner recess appropriated to the women, or else a tent appropriated to Peor's vile worship) in sight of Moses and the congregation
- So, by Jehovah's command, 1,000 warriors of every tribe, 12,000 in all, of Israel "vexed and smote" their five kings (Zur included, father of Cozbi
the Midianite woman slain with Zimri by Phinehas in the act of sin) and Balaam the giver of the wicked counsel which brought Jehovah's wrath on Israel for the sin (Numbers 31:2-17)
- " But then follows (Numbers 25) Israel's whoredom, not only with Moabite women but also with Midianite women, of whom Cozbi
, daughter of Zur (slain by Phinehas
- The tribe of Simeon especially suffered a diminution of its numbers; probably owing to the plague which followed Zimri's sin with Cozbi
the Midianite woman (Numbers 25:9-15; Numbers 26:51; Numbers 26:63-65; compare Numbers 11:21)