1 Chronicles 4:
And Elioenai, and Jaakobah, and Jeshohaiah, and Asaiah, and Adiel, and Jesimiel, and Benaiah,
1 Chronicles 15:
Of the sons of Merari; Asaiah the chief, and his brethren two hundred and twenty:
1 Chronicles 15:
And David called for Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and for the Levites, for Uriel, Asaiah, and Joel, Shemaiah, and Eliel, and Amminadab,
2 Chronicles 34:
And the king commanded Hilkiah, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Abdon the son of Micah, and Shaphan the scribe, and Asaiah a servant of the king's, saying,
Holman Bible Dictionary
(uh ssay' ah) Personal name meaning, “Yahweh made.” 1. Servant of King Josiah sent with others to Huldah, the prophet, to determine meaning of book of law found in the Temple about 624 B.C. 2. A leader of tribe of Simeon who helped drive out people of Ham from pastures of Gedor when Hezekiah was king of Judah (715-686 B.C.). See 1 Chronicles 6:30 ). He is apparently the same as the chief of the sons of Merari, who led 220 of his clan in helping bring the ark of the covenant from the house of Obed-edom to Jerusalem (1 Chronicles 15:1 ). 4 . Leader of clans from Shilo who returned from Babylonian Exile about 537 B.C. (1 Chronicles 9:5 ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
- Asahiah, Asaiah
1. An officer sent by Josiah to Huldah the prophetess after the book of the law had been found. 2 Kings 22:12,14 ; 2 Chronicles 34:20 .
2. Descendant of Simeon. 1 Chronicles 4:36 .
3. Descendant of Merari. 1 Chronicles 6:30 .
4. A Shilonite who became a dweller in Jerusalem. 1 Chronicles 9:5 .
5. Descendant of Merari who assisted in bringing up the ark from Obed-edom's house, 1 Chronicles 15:6,11 (possibly the same as No. 3).
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
ASAIAH (‘Jâ³ [Note: Jahweh.] hath made’). 1 . One of the deputation sent by Josiah to consult Huldah the prophetess, 2 Kings 22:12 ; 2 Kings 22:14 (AV [Note: Authorized Version.] Asahiah ), 2 Chronicles 34:20 . 2 Chronicles 34:2 . One of the Simeonite princes who attacked the shepherds of Gedor, 1 Chronicles 4:36 . 1 Chronicles 4:3 . A Merarite who took part in bringing the ark to Jerusalem, 1 Chronicles 6:30 ; 1Ch 15:6 ; 1 Chronicles 11:4 . The first-born of the Shilonites, 1 Chronicles 9:5 ; called in Nehemiah 11:5 Maaseiah .
Hitchcock's Bible Names
The Lord hath wrought
- (ass uh hi' uh) See Asaiah
- Designation of Asaiah
and his sons, probably as forming a part of the family of SHELAH, son of Judah
- (the Lord hath made ), a servant of King Josiah, sent by him to seek information of Jehovah respecting the book of the law which Hilkiah found in the temple, ( 2 Kings 22:12,14 ) also called Asaiah
(‘Jâ³ [Note: Jahweh
- Nehemiah 11:5 Equating to Asaiah
, 1 Chronicles 9:5
- A Judahite ( Nehemiah 11:5 ); in 1 Chronicles 9:5 Asaiah
- Postexilic resident of Jerusalem from tribe of Judah (Nehemiah 11:5 ), likely identical with Asaiah
(1 Chronicles 9:5 )