1 Samuel 9:
Now there was a man of Benjamin, whose name was
Kish, the son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Bechorath, the son of Aphiah, a Benjamite, a mighty man of power.
1 Samuel 14:
And Kish was
the father of Saul; and Ner the father of Abner was
the son of Abiel.
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
ABIEL . 1 . Father of Kish and Ner, and grandfather of Saul ( 1 Samuel 9:1 ; 1 Samuel 14:51 ). The latter passage should run, ‘Kish, the father of Saul, and Ner the father of Abner, were sons of Abiel.’ 2 . One of David’s heroes ( 1 Chronicles 11:32 ), from Beth-arabah in the wilderness of Judah ( Joshua 15:6 ; Joshua 15:61 ; Joshua 18:22 ). Abi-albon ( 2 Samuel 23:31 ) is a transcriber’s error, the eye having fallen on albon below: some codices of the LXX [Note: Septuagint.] have Abiel : possibly the original was Abibaal .
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
("father of strength".)
1. Father of Kish and of Ner; grandfather of Saul and of Abner, according to 1 Samuel 9:1; 1 Samuel 14:51. But Abiel seems to have had "Ner" as his second name (1 Chronicles 8:33; 1 Chronicles 9:35; 1 Chronicles 9:39, where Abiel is also called Jehiel and Saul is represented as his great grandson). Probably in 1 Samuel a link in the genealogy is omitted, as often elsewhere.
2. 1 Chronicles 11:32; named Abi-Albon (of the same meaning) 2 Samuel 23:31.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(uh bi' ehl) Personal name meaning, “my Father is God.” See 1 Samuel 9:1 ) or at least closely related to him (1Chronicles 9:36,1 Chronicles 9:39 ; 1 Samuel 14:50-51 ), the meaning of the texts not being absolutely clear. See Jehiel .
Hitchcock's Bible Names
God my father
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Father (i.e., "possessor") of God = "pious."
The son of Zeror and father of Ner, who was the grandfather of Saul (1 Samuel 14:51 ; 1 Chronicles 8:33 ; 9:39 ). In 1 Samuel 9:1 , he is called the "father," probably meaning the grandfather, of Kish.
An Arbathite, one of David's warriors (1 Chronicles 11:32 ); called also Abi-albon (2 Samuel 23:31 ).
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Father of Kish and of Ner and grandfather of Saul and of Abner. That this is the most probable genealogy is confirmed by Ner being said to be Saul's uncle, 1 Samuel 9:1 ; 1 Samuel 14:50,51 ; though in 1 Chronicles 8:33 ; 1 Chronicles 9:39 , Saul is said to be the son of Kish, the son of Ner. This Ner may have been an earlier ancestor; and here Abiel is not named at all. It was not unusual to leave out many names in the genealogies.
2. One of David's mighty men, 1 Chronicles 11:32 ; he is called Abi-Albon in 2 Samuel 23:31 .
- Son of Abiel
, father of Abner, and Saul's uncle. The genealogy here falls thus:...
. The rabbis say that this Ner is the same person as Abiel
; but others suppose him to be some earlier ancestor not elsewhere mentioned
- Called Abiel
in 1 Chronicles 11:32 . See Abiel
. The latter passage should run, ‘Kish, the father of Saul, and Ner the father of Abner, were sons of Abiel
. ] have Abiel
: possibly the original was Abibaal
- , "valiant", one of David's body-guard of thirty mighty men (2 Samuel 23:31 ); called also Abiel
(1 Chronicles 11:32 )
- But Abiel
seems to have had "Ner" as his second name (1 Chronicles 8:33; 1 Chronicles 9:35; 1 Chronicles 9:39, where Abiel
is also called Jehiel and Saul is represented as his great grandson)
- (yoo ehl) Personal name meaning, “will of God,” or a contraction of Abiel
, meaning, “God is father
- He is said to have been the son of Abiel
(1 Samuel 9:1 ) and the son of Ner (1 Chronicles 8:33 ). Some think he was the grandson of Abiel
and son of Ner
A Benjamite, the son of Abiel
, and father of king Saul (1 Samuel 9:1,3 ; 10:11,21 ; 14:51 ; 2 Samuel 21:14 )
- Son of Abiel
a Benjamite and father of Saul, king of Israel
- This Ner may have been an earlier ancestor; and here Abiel
is not named at all
- Saul's father, son of Abiel
, of Benjamin, brother of Abner (1 Samuel 9:1-21; 1 Samuel 14:51)
- From him descended Bechorath, then Zeror, Abiel
(Jehiel, 1 Chronicles 9:35), Ner, Kish, Saul. Abiel
settled in Gibeon or Gibeah, afterward described as "of Saul" (1 Samuel 11:4; Isaiah 10:29)
- Saul was son of Kish, son of Ner, son of Abiel
or Jehiel. 1 Samuel 9:1 omits Ner, the intermediate link, and makes Kish son of Abiel
; 1 Chronicles 8:33 supplies the link, or Ner in 1 Chronicles is not father but ancestor of Kish (1 Chronicles 9:36-39), and Ner son of Abi-Gibeon (father or founder of Gibeon, 1 Chronicles 8:29) is named only because he was progenitor of Saul's line, the intermediate names mentioned in 1 Samuel 9 being omitted